Auditory scan is a new feature for the MyTalkTools 3.1 application.
If your application requires both Auditory Scan and Phrase mode, read this.
- Auditory Scan with Phrase mode requires an upgrade to Acapela voices, using the In App purchase process.
- The Phrase mode Play (white Play triangle in Blue Circle) and Delete (white x in Red Circle) commands require Acapela Text-To-Speech to be heard.
If your application just requires Auditory Scan
- When you enable Auditory Scan, sound is played as cells are scanned while using 'switch based auto-scan'.
- Sounds played during the auto scan process include the sound files in each cell, a saved Text-To-Speech sound file. (or synthesized Text-To-Speech if purchased optionally and if the cell does not contain a sound file)
- The image below depicts auto-scan, with phrase bar. Phrase bar functionality does not need to be enabled for auditory scan to work.
Although auditory scan adds a new dimension to MyTalk for those with visual impairments, there are a few items for you to consider as you begin to utilize this new functionality.
Sometimes, when auditory scan is turned on, cells will not play a sound. Before submitting a support request please review the following:
Is there a sound file attached to the cell? Unless you have purchased Acapela voices, Auditory scan requires a sound file. You can use Text-To-Speech without Acapela voices, but you would use our basic, default TTS and you would be using it in author mode to create a sound file from TTS. Your steps would be (Edit / Select the cell / Sound / Text-To-Speech / enter the phrase / OK ). That series of steps utilizes our standard, basic TTS to create a 'sound file' that is saved to the cell.
You can record sound in a cell using TTS as described, record on your iDevice, Add Sound Media in Workspace either by recording or adding sound files to your library from your computer or the web. The final step is to drag them on to a cell on your board and sync them to MyTalk Mobile.
If you have activated Acapela voices, and you DO NOT have a sound file associated with a cell, auditory scan will use TTS to voice the text in that cell.
Is your text only cell not playing sound? Acapela voices may not have been purchased or may not be activated. Auditory scan will only play text only cells when you have Acapela installed on the device, otherwise text only cells will be treated as if there is no sound in that cell.
Are you referring to Play Command (white Play triangle in Blue Circle) and Cancel Command (the white x in the red circle at top right of the board)? For these cells to be voiced, you must have purchased Acapela voices.