Using Workspace – The 3 regions of Workspace
Go to our website – mytalktools.com - select the login button at the top right, and log in. The login button is a tiny head and shoulders outline at the top right of the web page.
Log into Workspace many times in the first 30 days after you have created your user name to get comfortable and better understand if WorkSpace is for you. During the first 30 days, you will be presented with a dialogue box telling you how many days you have left in your free trial. When you've decided you like WorkSpace, click OK, but until then select Cancel.
Now lets quickly review Workspace: When loading Workspace, we present ‘recent changes’ so that you can stay up with all of our updates.
Libraries, located on the left, load quickly after they're selected. Layout and Map view - the center and right portions of your screen - load almost immediately. Below is a Workspace image of a User that has been customized to a board with 5 columns and 5 rows using mostly Symbols.
When you get started your Workspace will look something like the image below. Libraries on the left; Layout View in the center and Map View on the right. Layout view, in the center, is how your boards appear on your end user’s device. Map view on the right of your screen is a directory tree of your boards.
The Left region in WorkSpace is the LIBRARY section. In the example below you are looking at the Library section of an existing user with several new, personalized libraries.
Your LIBRARY section will look just like the image below when you get started. Later you might create your own additional private libraries.
- Notice you have a private Library. You can fill this library with your personalized content including videos, images, sound recording and cells. More about cells later.
- The Aragon Media Library and symbolstix library are symbol libraries provided as part of the application.
- The public library contains both photos and images of common items mostly populated with content for U.S. users.
- The ‘submissions’ library is content donated by Speech & Language Pathologists, Occupational and Physical Therapists, Special Education teachers and family members from the S. and other parts of the world so that you don’t need to start from scratch. This library holds our sample board sets that you can use to start or add to your own customization. Our submissions library is a gift from our Support base to you.
Filling your Private Library or other new libraries that you create:
- Gather content from your hard drive
- thumb drives
- or any data source containing content that you want to use to customize your board to your end-user.
MyTalk is extraordinarily customizable. Fill your library with content from virtually anywhere.
And with new editing capabilities, you can select content directly from those data sources without adding it to your library. As you move through this tutorial you will find we have given you tremendous flexibility in securing content for your communication boards.
The image below shows Layout view for a sample user that would be high functioning and capable of using symbols. Note that the only personalized photo image is ‘About Me’. In our family the home board is filled with photographs that encourage engagement. If your board will be used by many high functioning users, like hospital patients, it may contain primarily symbols like those below.
REMEMBER: Layout view, in the center, is how your boards appear on your end user’s device.
When you get started your LAYOUT view will look like the image below.
Map View is similar to a file directory. Below is an image of Map view when you with the basic Getting Started content.
Notice the triangles to the left of each image. Click the triangle to the left of the Food image and the child cells (also known as a linked board) will appear below, indented. See image below.